Become a Leader or Helper
When your child joins Kama Scout Group, the family enters into a reciprocal relationship with the group. We are a volunteer, non-profit, community organisation. We are not a fee-for-service enterprise. That means that families must contribute to the group in return for the group’s contribution to the well-being of their child. The Kama Scout Group is sustained by the time, creativity and care of the adults involved. There are many ways to give. Read What Can I Do to Help? to find out how.
Adult leaders are usually parents, although of course not in every case. They follow their children into, through and out of scouts. It’s a natural sequence. For this reason leader recruitment is a continuous process. Please consider becoming a scout leader. See what some of our leaders have to say about why they joined up, and what they like about leading…Leader Poster A3 (11.4 MB). Talk to a Kama leader you know, or contact the Group Leader to learn more.
What kind of Leader are you?
Sometimes the choice is easy: people choose to lead in their child’s section. But if that is not a factor, here are a few pointers to help you decide which section would be a good match for you.
Are you a Joey Leader?
- Joeys are aged 6-8
- Do you enjoy youngsters’ energy, innocence and cuteness?
- Are you patient and cheerful?
- Are you happy doing craft, making things, and playing games?
Are you a Cub Leader?
- Cubs are aged 8-10
- Do you enjoy teaching children simple skills?
- Are you available for occasional sleepovers or one-night camps?
- Are you up for the occasional weekend afternoon walk?
- Are you a fair but firm referee for vigorous indoor and outdoor games?
Are you a Scout Leader?
- Scouts are aged 10-15
- Scouts is ACTION!
- Do you like to camp, bushwalk, ski, kayak, build things?
- Are you a “can do” give-it-a-go person who enjoys the outdoors?
- Are you able to take your turn at 1, 2 and 3-night camps?
- If none of the above, are you an organiser? All of this action has to be managed!!
Are you a Venturer Leader?
- Venturers are aged 15-18
- Are you a mentoring type?
- Are you able to guide, and resist the urge to “boss”
- Do you have good rapport with teenagers?
- Do you have good outdoors skills, but don’t necessarily want to do the hikes and camps yourself?